Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Budgets: Why I'm starting to think boys might be better than girls

Being better endowed with financial skills than I, Zach created a working budget for the first nine months of our marriage--that is, the time we will still be in school. I really praise God that so many of my weaknesses (in this case, budgeting) are his strengths and vice-versa. Now, that's not to say I am terrible with money. I have budgeted in the past, I can save when I'm working towards something, I clip coupons and look for deals and research before I buy, I don't spend what I don't have. But just saving just because? That has never been a strong point for me. Now I finally have the opportunity and the accountability to do better.

We are aiming to save 40% or so of our income in the coming months; it's for emergency and travel (honeymoon especially), but that is still a good amount as we will need an egg when we start our job searches and have to move where we do find a job (hopefully in the North East, East Coast, or Mid-West). We will also be starting to pay back student loans (*groan*). It will be a good habit to continue the rest of our life together, and we will still have our own spending money, money for entertainment, miscellaneous fund, etc. I am excited about budgeting! HAHAHA! : ) (Hey, I always liked doing the grocery budget...this is just an extension.)

But our toiletry and household goods fund? Even though I already knew, I just realized how much more girls cost than guys. This does not seem like a big problem when girls and boys are small, but those same kids turn into teenagers who need and want a lot of stuff. Hmmm....

This won't be an issue for another 20 or so years (when our hypothetical children will be turning 13 or so), thank God!

(Yes, that's what I call the kids we may or may not have: hypothetical.) I am in a silly mood today because I haven't had enough sleep but am still wide awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment