Saturday, August 1, 2009

Open Me-Love Me-Marry Me

Two weeks ago Zach proposed to me in Kansas City, Missouri. After a sunset carriage ride around the Plaza, we rode up to Westmoreland Bed and Breakfast. Once inside, the innkeeper left us outside our room. When I opened the door, I found a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolate-covered strawberries with signs that said "DRINK ME" and "EAT ME" posted near them. When I turned around, I saw a crawlspace with as sign that said "OPEN ME" on it. Zach told me to open it, and when I did, I found a shadowbox inside. It was filled with pictures, souvenirs, and various mementos of my relationship with Zach; there was a picture of The Flying Saucer, where we met on September 19, 2008; pictures of of Lewis Carroll and Alice in Wonderland; his high tea invitation I gave him at Christmas. Zach really isn't emotional or sentimental (except when it comes to us), so when I saw the shadowbox, I knew I had to take a close look at it. Of course, when I picked it up, I saw a sign hidden behind it: "MARRY ME." Not knowing whether or not he would have something to say, I carefully looked over the shadowbox before turning to him. "Please say yes!" was all he could get out, and the rest, they say, is history. When I lifted up the sign, I found a beautiful round diamond ring that looks like a snowflake. (Snow is my favorite thing in the world.)

You can check out our press release here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31206399&id=82200807#/video/video.php?v=621219424337

Since Zach proposed to me, I thought we should document the progression of our wedding plans. We are not doing the $25,000, princess in fluffy white, awkward unity candle, Baptist-punch wedding and reception. We are individuals, so we should have a unique ceremony and celebration. Zach is crazy, if you don't already know. (So am I.) Two weeks in, I am already stressed with this mess. As stressful as it is to go traditional, it is much more difficult to emphasize that you and your fiancee's wedding is YOURS--and you are going to do it your way. I keep reminding myself to "remember what matters," and so, in that spirit, here are a few pictures to document the journey Zach and I have taken to this point.


our first date-like outing (September 28)


a month in (Costume Election Party)


one of my favorites (November 21)


meeting Zach's parents (Christmas)


second trip to KC (early January)


gingerbread house (late January)


Spring Break


Memphis (March)


IHOP with graduating friends (May)


Zach goes to China (May 16)


picnic before I left for the British Isles (late May)



Marshmallow Roast (early July)


We're engaged! (July 20)


Zach's Mad Hatter Birthday Party (July 25)

No comments:

Post a Comment