Friday, August 7, 2009

How to Maneuver Your Way Through Dress Shop Marketing Ploys

So I went wedding dress shopping yesterday with two of my best friends, Tasha and Stephanie. We started out at Alfred Angelo's because I have never been there, and they said they were really nice. I tried on nine different dresses, including one that made simultaneously feel like a frosted cupcake and a peacock.

My consultant was fairly nice, but always feel that bridal shops and salespeople are snooty and patronizing. (It is a marketing ploy to think it is the bride's special day and thus she must be treated like a queen.) My friends jumped right in to assist
me with trying on dresses, so I didn't have to deal with a consultant dressing me. There was one slim dress I really liked for $299...and I also found a bridesmaid dress in blue with white flowers that was lovely (but there wasn't enough time to order one before the wedding).

After Alfred Angelo's, I decided I wanted to go ahead and go to David's Bridal because they were having their $99 sale. Now, when Stephanie, Tasha, and my cousin Erin went bridal shopping in the past, I accompanied each of them to David's on some visit. We were ever disappointed. The salespeople are typically rude and insistent, as if by doing so, they will make you feel inferior for spending less money so you will spend more to feel better about yourself. (That is not a sound scientific hypothesis, but having been to many bridal shops, I believe it is plausible.)

I decided I wanted to try to maneuver my way through David's Bridal. When they asked to fill out information sheets, I told them I had already registered online. Yet I still had to fill them out...and they also wanted Zach is information, no doubt to harass him about tuxes and Men's Wearhouse. I also didn't give them a wedding date because I knew I would get the same old "song-and-dance" routine: must buy off-rack, no time to order, less money will be spent, less service will be offered. (Of course Tasha ended up giving them the date for me...*lol*) Then we had to wait until a consultant came in at one, so we looked at bridesmaid dresses and started pulling gowns from the $99 rack. Another lady snapped at us not to do that because my consultant would get whatever I wanted. (But how would she know...? I think myself and my friends are best qualified to know what I will like, right?)

But my consultant there ended up better than I expected, though she seemed patronizing towards our non-traditional wedding ideas and Tasha found her "fake." But she wasn't a complete snob, which was more than I expected, so it was fine. She did, however, undress me with only a corset bra and weird slip on and with the door open. Stephanie, too, was not exactly happy to be back at David's. *lol* I can't really blame her...bridal shops and boutiques like that always make me uncomfortable. I prefer to come in and shop by myself without being watched like a thief or waited on hand-and-foot. It just makes you feel...awkward.

Anyway, I tried on four dresses, three that were on sale and one that was a blue bridesmaid gown. I liked the bridesmaid gown and a mermaid dress with a navy blue ribbon, but there was a beautiful ivory dress that fit perfectly. :) It was simple but still had a vintage feel to it, and could add a sash. I had grown tired of wedding gowns, especially after this mother-of-a-bride gave me a "Go-to-hell" look when I came out in the blue dress, so I said I would come back tomorrow with my mom and try that one on, along with the blue one. (The sale ends Monday, so I needed to make a decision by tomorrow because the dress would probably be gone very soon.)

We went to the mall to see what regular stores offered and found practically nothing. I figured since it is summer that white dresses would have taken over the shops. But, it is the end of the summer, so perhaps that is why the picks were so far and few in between. At Dillard's it was near impossible to find a simple and plain white dress for under $100. That seemed ridiculous to me since I could get a perfectly lovely bridal gown for that price. I didn't want much...just a simple dress with a blue sash and a few flourishes, but I wanted to wear some nicer material than cotton or jersey.

On the way home, we talked about the ivory dress and the others I liked. I kept thinking that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad deal to get that dress when I would pay more for something much less. I was so tired of looking. I showed pictures of me trying on dresses to Tasha's Aunt Tay, and she said she thought I should get it. She also loaned me her slip so it would make my dress fuller. I called my mother and told her I was coming to see her to talk about it. When showed her the pictures, she loved it and said she wanted to buy it for me. She's thrilled about the idea of me wearing a bridal gown!

So...I went and got the dress! My consultant was there, and she was glad I came back. Another saleswoman rang up the sale and told me how she had asked my consultant which dress I liked better and that she hoped I would come back for the ivory one. I thought that was rather presumptuous, but I got a dress I love and under budget. I am a very happy camper! :)

I called Zach and told him all about it. He said he knew I made a good choice and couldn't wait to see it (if I would show it to him). I don't understand these superstitions about the groom not seeing the dress, except for maybe the surprise of it. But we are going to see each other all day before the wedding, and since he is my very best friend, he is the one with whom I most wanted to share my good news. I couldn't wait for him to see the dress either, so, when I came home, put it on. He loved it, calling it "classicist." I do have a few surprises left up my sleeve, so didn't show him everything about the dress. ;)

I bought my wedding dress! That is sooo weird. *lol*

No comments:

Post a Comment