Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Work(s) in Progress

Lots of things have started rolling...! ! !

On Monday, we went to talk to the staff at Faulkner County Library. I was sooo nervous, which made Zach nervous, which made me more nervous, which made him more nervous...oh, it was a vicious never-ending cycle in the parking lot. Zach said I should probably talk since I am the bride--and people are supposed to listen to brides. *lol* When we went in, we were so nervous that we even let a few people cut in line. Then I went up to the desk and simply said, "I don't know who I need to talk to, but we want to get married here."

And how did the assistant reply? "Well, I'll go find someone, but they're probably going to say no." :{ (That certainly didn't help our anxiety, to say the least.

Well the librarian came out, and I introduced us (and provided a snippet of what we needed), and she introduced herself (Gosh, what was her name?! Something "Voss...") and said we should just go sit down in her office and chat. She was very sweet and enthusiastic, which definitely relieved some of our anxiety after that first negative comment. She assumed that we wanted a meeting room, but when we said we were looking at the stacks, she said that would be absolutely fine. The library is very receptive to our plans because they have had two weddings in the stacks previously (!) and would allow some food & beverages, decorations, etc. She took us around the library and talked about how lovely and perfect it would be for us. (It probably didn't hurt that we told her we wanted to provide a monetary donation to the library!) She took down our information and is supposed to call us soon once she has confirmed that a staff member can stay after hours. But even that didn't seem a problem, and when we said we would pay of course, she said that wouldn't be a big deal.

If we haven't heard by Friday, we are calling back because we need to get the invitations going out soon.

Speaking of invites, I think I designed our invitations yesterday at Hobby Lobby in about 30 minutes (!). Zach and I went back today after a lunch at Holly's (I had THREE kinds of potatoes. ;), and he liked my ideas a lot (!). We are probably going to do light blue textured cardstock with the information printed in the center. Across the top, we are going to stamp a white or silver border of some sort (either hearts or floral) and add some pearl embellishments here and there (because pearls are elegant and I plan to wear them). We may add the border at the bottom, depending on how crowded the text is. There will be a quote from Alice in a smaller font before the information, and then on the envelopes we are going to stamp the White Rabbit as the court herald and the words "OPEN ME." We haven't decided if we are going to use any seals or what-not (though we like wax seals and found some cute blue and silver sticker seals at Big Lots)...but the post office has King and Queen of Hearts stamps right now. Perfect!

Initially we had planned to do our engagement photos this Sunday with a student photographer who did some of our friends' photos. She was very excited about the Alice-inspiration behind our relationship and started coming up with all kinds of ideas, like using our tea set and picnic basket under a tree with lights. We are sooo excited. : )

Today, however, I was washing my hands in the bathroom and was looking at the ring I have been wearing since mine was shipped off to Washington to be re-sized. We sent the engagement ring off on Monday, and since then, I have alternately been wearing my "True Love Waits" ring (which is a heart encrusted with alternating sapphires and diamonds) and a yellow gold ring with a diamond stud my mother gave me.

Even though I don't like yellow gold, Mama's ring fits perfectly, unlike the "TLW" ring, which requires a snuggie, so I decided to stick with Mama's ring to get in the habit of having a ring on that important finger. (Now it feels naked without one!) Well I was looking at it when I realized, "You HAVE to have your engagement ring for your engagement photos, Dum-Dum!" Guess when my ring is coming back? That's right...not until next week. This means our pictures are temporarily postponed. : (


Hey, at least I have more time to get my hair-did, right?

Tomorrow Stephanie and Tasha are going wedding dress shopping with me. Can't wait...!

No comments:

Post a Comment